Year 1 Weekly Evaluation 17.09.21

It’s the end of a very busy second week. The first week was all about settling into new routines and a time for assessment to ensure I know where each child in the class is with their learning journey.

I would like to say that I’m delighted to be teaching Year 1 and that I believe the children’s learning is a partnership between the teacher and parent. If you have any questions or queries, please don’t hesitate to ask.

At this stage it is really important to keep a focus on the alphabet and recognising the letter name and the letter sound. Letter sounds help the children with their reading and writing skills. Bug club is a lovely resource to use at home too.

Please also reinforce the children’s ability to recognise numbers from 0-20 and understand their position in a number line, also helping your child to write the numbers without reversal, is useful.

The children are eager to learn at this age and will be happy to show you how clever they can be.

I have sent out the termly overview, this will explain what Year 1 will be learning.

This week we’ve been sharing information that we already know about Autumn and creating a spider gram. We’ve also been Autumn explorers in the field looking for the signs of change linked with this season. We have collected an array of leaves which will help us to create a word bank of adjectives to support us as we write shape poems about leaves.

In maths we’ve been focusing on number and place value. We have also been using ordinal numbers in our number story ‘The Quangle Wangle’s hat.’

We have been portrait artists too. As part of our theme ‘Me’ we have been studying the features of our face and created a portrait of our friend in class in preparation for the children to create a self-portrait using a medium of their choice. I’m really looking forward to displaying their self-portraits in the classroom.

During Science we have been investigating variation and discussed the differences between humans and animals. We’ve learned that humans are mammals and we are exploring the many differences between human beings.

I have given 5 spellings to the children this week (Jim, jam, win, wet, van), which can be found on J2e. There will be a spelling test each Friday. It would be a great idea if you can make sentences at home using the spellings each week e.g. Jim got wet so he sat in the van. Focusing on a capital letter at the start on a sentence, finger spaces in between words and a full stop at the end of the sentence.

Have a great weekend!

Kind regards

Miss Hughes, Miss Merson and Mrs Deering