Year 1 Weekly Evaluation 05.11.21

A super start to a new half term.

Firstly, thank you for making the morning and home time routine flow so efficiently. I really appreciate how thoughtful you have been, following the new lining up by the side gate system. At last it is good to see children being able to come into school at the same time.

The children have been full of energy and enthusiasm this week. We’ve being further exploring the properties of 2 D shape with a focus on curved and straight edges.

Our new genre for English is ‘Narrative’. The book we are looking at is a story called the ‘Magic Porridge Pot’. We have been learning the story by reading it, saying it out loud and adding actions to help us to remember it.

Topic lessons this week have been focused on Healthy Eating, the children selected items to make up a healthy meal and we’re very sensible with their choices.

Spelling tests went well today. Some children do need extra support to learn their words, please provide them with the time, as it means a lot to them when they get full marks. In phonics we’ve been learning about the trigraph (three letters making one sound) ‘igh’.  The spelling words to learn this week are (light, night, right, bright and might).

If you have any issues accessing Hwb or bug club please let me know and I will endeavour to resolve the issue. The books are on auto renew however, if all of the books in a particular band are read we’ll need to manually adjust the band level. Please keep me posted if you need new books in that instance, I can’t emphasise enough how important reading is to the children.

There is a letter being sent out today about the Christmas concert. Once again, this year the concert will be filmed and available on DVD. The concert is ‘Children of the World.’ Year 1 are representing China and the children will need to wear traditional Chinese style costumes. In class we’ll be making Chinese lanterns and a hat for each child to wear, I hope this helps. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

Some of you may already know that Mrs Deering is leaving us this week to pursue a new adventure. She has been absolutely fantastic with the children and a valued colleague to all at Alltwen Primary School. Good luck, Mrs Deering.

We have a new member of the team, Mrs Doolwela, who has already made a positive impact to our class. I know that Mrs Doolwela will add a lot of value to the children’s learning experience.

Stay safe tonight if you’re having a Bonfire night celebration and have a great weekend.

Kind regards

Miss Hughes, Miss Merson, Mrs Deering and Mrs Doolwela